- City Services
- Community Development
- Building & Safety Division
Building & Safety Division
Projects submitted on or after January 1st, 2023 must comply with the 2022 California Codes (Title 24)
|2022 California Administrative Code||2022 California Building Code|
|2022 California Residential Code||2022 California Electrical Code|
|2022 California Mechanical Code||2022 California Plumbing Code|
|2022 California Energy Code||2022 California Fire Code|
|2022 California Green Building Standards Code||2022 California Historical Building Code|
|2022 California Existing Building Code||City of Brea Municipal Code & Ordinances|
Applying for Permits
To apply for a building permit, submit for plan check, or apply for a Certificate of Occupancy please email your application and all necessary documents to Building@cityofbrea.net. Once received, City staff will reach out to you with further information. If you have any questions or need additional information please call 714-671-4406.
Certificate of Occupancy Application
The Building & Safety Division is committed to protecting the lives and safety of the residents and visitors of Brea, preserving the City’s quality of life, and contributing to the City’s economic development.
This is accomplished through the implementation of the building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and energy codes, as well as code enforcement regulation of local and state laws for all buildings in the City of Brea.
The Division provides plan review and field inspections of buildings to ensure a safe, accessible, and energy-efficient environment throughout our community. The Division regulates local and state laws related to building construction, maintenance, use, repair, and rehabilitation.
The Division also manages the City’s permit system which coordinates and streamlines the construction permit process. Applications for construction projects are submitted to the Building & Safety Division where the review process is coordinated among several departments. This provides the customer with a comprehensive single point of contact throughout the entire review and permit process.
Brea’s Building & Safety Division’s plan check, inspection, code enforcement, and Building Official are all International Code Council (ICC) Certified. This goal of 100% ICC Certification demonstrates a professional commitment to public safety, diverse knowledge of construction safety codes, and a high level of self-initiative. Being professionally certified by the Code Council provides a nationally recognized credential that will only enhance the services provided to Brea’s residents and businesses.
The International Code Council is a member-focused association committed to protecting public health, safety, and welfare by developing model codes and standards used in the design, build, and compliance process.
- Frequently Asked Question: Will my construction project increase my property tax? Find out by visiting the OC Assessor’s website.
- California’s Building Energy Efficiency Standards are in effect starting July 1, 2014. For more information, visit the California Energy Commission website.
- Get the free FEMA earthquake safety guide for homeowners.
- The 2019 California Building Standards Code is now enforceable as of January 1, 2020. See the Building Code Requirements page for more information.
- SB 407: Water Conserving Plumbing Fixture Replacement is now enforceable as of January 1, 2014. Find out if the new requirements apply to your project.
- View the form to Request for Unreasonable Hardship.
- SoCalGas Pipeline Safety Information - Contact 811 Before You Dig.