What is a Housing Element?
The General Plan Housing Element is a State-mandated policy document that identifies Brea’s existing and future housing needs and establishes clear goals to inform future housing decisions. It is drafted in accordance with the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA), which quantifies the existing and projected need for housing by income categories for each local jurisdiction during specified planning periods. The Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) determines each city’s housing growth need projections for each planning period.
The City's Housing Element provides goals, policies and program that address:
- Maintaining existing housing quality and affordability
- Assisting in the provision of new affordable housing
- Providing adequate housing sites to address Brea's regional housing needs (RHNA)
- Identifying and removing governmental constraints to housing development
- Promoting equal housing opportunities
- Promoting sustainability, energy efficiency and healthy community
Unlike other elements of the General Plan, State law requires the Housing Element to be updated every eight years. The State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) is tasked with reviewing Housing Elements for compliance with State housing laws.
Housing Element 2021-2029 (6th Cycle)
The City Council originally adopted the Housing Element for the years 2021-2029 on September 21, 2021, and subsequently re-adopted a revised Housing Element on August 16, 2022. The City's 6th Cycle Housing Element was certified by the State on September 8, 2022.
For more details on the Housing Element and the update process that the City went through, please visit Shapebrea website by clicking this link.
6th Cycle Housing Element Implementation
- Rezoning Program: A General Plan Amendment and a Zone Change to to amend the General Plan Land Use and zoning designations of six housing sites identified in the City’s 6th Cycle Housing Element
Previous Cycle Housing Elements
2014-2021 (5th Cycle) Element
The City Council adopted the Housing Element for the years 2014-2021 on November 5, 2013.
2008-2014 (4th Cycle) Element
The City Council adopted the Housing Element for the years 2008-2014 in August 2008.